Sunday, March 8, 2009

Death of Francois Michel Auguste Follin


LAST WILL & TESTAMENT; Michel Follin Charleston, SC, Jun 27, 1812
On the 27th, of June 1812 at Seven O'Clock in the morning before me Barthelemy Vallenet, Chancellor of the Consulate of the French Empire in Charleston, S.C. resident there the undersigned in the presence of witnesses herein after named also undersigned at the request of Mr. Michel Follin a merchant living in said Town I am carried to his residenceon King Street, No. 102, and on arriving there found Mr. Follin in a lower room of the said mansion giving towards the Court seated in an Armchair, sick of body, and sound of mind, memory and understanding and ____________ thus he appeared to me and to the undersigned witnesses by his speech, gesture, manner _____________
his last Will which he himself declared without influence or suggestion from any one and which I have written in my own hand word for word as he said it.
"I am named Michel Follin. I am a native of Beauchamps of Picardie and age eighty-one and it may please God to dispose of me in the sickness with which I am afflicted.
I will and declare that my establishment situated at the corner of Berry and Penthieves Streets in the Town of Mole, St. Nicholas, the Island of Saint Domingo, to be and belong to my little daughter Eulalie Times and that my home in the Soucerome to be and belong to the children of my eldest son now living in Phildelphia, Pa.
As for my jewelry, silverware and other little objects which may be found in my apartment in the house where I am actually residing I give them entirely to my wife Francois Juneau in recognition of good service which she has rendered to me.
I declare anew that the mulatto Charles is the legitimate property of my wife and that nobody has any right to free him for less than a sum of One Thousand gourges I being responsible for this sum since my wife (is indebted?) to my eldest son now in Philadelphia.
I declare that what may be found in the house in which I live belongs to my two sons Auguste and Firmin and that it all came from their gains and savings which they have left me to help take care of my subsistence since the first of May _______________________________
I give to my said two sons, Auguste and Firmin my _______________
and as for the Box which contains my papers it shall be sent to my eldest son.
And to execute the present Will of mine I name as my Executors Auguste and Firmin Follin my children who shall render me this last service."
This was done, said, spoken, dictated and named by said Testator before me the Chancellor and by me read and repeated to him which was well understood by him to contain his last Will in the presence of Mr. Francois Gaspard, Etienne LaComb, Jean L. Pezant and Louis Pezant all French Refugees from Saint Domingo actually residing in the City of Charleston, witnesses required who after having read have signed together with the Testator before me the said Chancellor also signed on the minute.
(Signed) Follin
F. Gaspard, E. LaComb, J. Pezant, L. Pezant and Vallenet,
Chancellor.






DEATH REGISTRATION (Extract): Translation of original document.


CONSULATE OF FRANCE AT CHARLESTON, Extract from Register of Acts, of births, marriages and deaths, in the Chancellory of France at Charleston, South Carolina.

This day, the twentieth of September, One Thousand, Eight Hundredand Thirteen, Five O'Clock in the evening. I, Louis de Fourcroy, Chevalier of the Empire, Member of the Legion of Honor, Consul of His Majesty the Emporor of France, King of Italy,at Charleston, South Carolina. Upon the information given to me by Sieur Auguste Follin, merchant living in this city that Sieur Michel Follin aged Eighty-Two Years, native of Beauchamp in Picardy, husband of Francoise Juneau, had died this day at a quarter before Mid-day, at Boundry Street where he made his residense, I was hastily carried to said home where I found in a lower room of the said house the dead body of Sr. Michel Follin, all of which I have expressed by word of mouth to the Chancellor of the Consulate, and the said Sr. appearing signed with me above Consul and said Chancellor also signed on Register. Follin, Fourcroy and Vallenet (two words erased).Collated and Stamped B. Fourcroy.
Seal of the Empire here Consul de France Charles Town around the Imperial Eagle.


BURIAL,(EXTRACT): Register of St Mary's Church cemetery, Charleston, SC" Book 11, Page 25: September 21, 1813 - Today there was buried in the cemetery of this Church the body of (?) Francois Michel Augustin Follin, native of Beauchamps in Picardy son of Michel Follin and Lady (dame) Mariam Esambour, age 82 years, 11 months, and 2 days. Merchant and resident of this City, where he had refuggeed from Mole, St Nicholas, Saint Domingo. In presence of _____Benoist, J.L. Pezant, J.J. Lapeune, F.G. Pague (?), J. Cheuman (?), Cloriviere (cure)"


****

Note:

1. Francois Michel Auguste Follin was born October 1731 in Beauchamps, Picardie, France. His wife, Marie Francoise Juneau, was born 1755 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Died December 1813 in Charleston, SC).


2. The name of the Follin family Chateau was "Chateau de Gama," located at St Dominque or Paris Two Lions.

3. The eldest son living in Philadelphia was Auguste-Firmin Follin, His brother Mathew Firmin Follin, was known as "Firmin."

4. Francois Michel Auguste Follin, b. Oct. 1731, was the 4th Great Grandfather of Elwood R. Coleman, Sr., (1921-1998), of New Orleans, Louisiana, son of John Allen Coleman and Marie Antoinette Perez-Follin.

Sources:
1. Historical and Genealogical Research of the FOLLIN family by Mrs. C. Ritchie Simmons, Charleston, SC (1939): Provided by Mrs. Mary A. Potter, Philadelphia, PA.
2. Last Will & Testament of Michel Follin, June 27th, 1812, Charleston, SC.
3. Certificate of Death, French Consulate at Charleston, SC (French to English translation), Sep. 20, 1813
4. St Mary's Church, Charleston, SC., Church Register, Register of Marriages, Births, Death and Burials.
5. Obituary of Jean Charles Auguste Follin, Ref. "The Charleston Courier," March 15, 1835, Charleston, SC
6. Book of Internments, 1818-1837, St Mary's Catholic Church cemetery, Charleston, SC.
7. Deed, 1839, Marengo county, Alabama, Grantors: Follin family & Davenport family, Grantee: Stewart.




No comments:

Post a Comment